Wednesday, May 6, 2026

What a difference a year makes. Or five.


I recently acquired this Russ Warner group (also attributed to Stanford St. George), and the 8 x 10 named the sitters on the reverse: Lang & Suitro.

I had seen the photo in an early issue of Physique Pictorial, and there I found the image in the November 1951 number … except that they were given as Bill Parker and Johnny Travis in Warner’s Group B-10.

I later found it shown in the Spring 1957 issue, showing them as John Lang and Bill Suitro and thus agreeing with the (presumably original to the studio) text on the reverse.

I’ve since found them as Bill Barker and Bill Berker; Travis’s name remains stable!


Here are the others…



One could argue that this reads Lane and (certainly) Sutro. 



4 comments:

  1. Name-O Change-O !
    I guess they wanted to be anonymous more or less. :)
    The article states they were loyal friends = lovers perhaps ?
    And mentions they trained at a gym in Oakland, at that time the Ed Yarick Gym, Dr Norman Marks Health Club, Jack LaLanne’s Physical Culture Studio and Jack Delinger’s Gym were popular with bodybuilders in Oakland and the Bay Area.
    Unique furnishings they are posed with, the bamboo trellis and exotic philodendrons, the reed sunscreens and the Hawaiian bent bamboo couch with its mid century fabric. At that time in 1951, Hawaiian and Oriental furniture and furnishings were very popular.
    -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does feel like a bit of a story — the way Frankie Russell (by Delmonteque) is a story, or Mark Nixon (by Bruce) is a narrative. Not entirely true, but not untrue, perhaps!

      Delete
  2. Ils ont 17 et 18 ans ?!
    Leur physique est si bien développé qu’il est difficile de croire qu’ils sont des adolescents. Bien entendu, à l’époque, de nombreux jeunes hommes paraissaient plus âgés que leur âge.
    -Beau Mec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui, à la date où les photos ont été prises, ils devaient être exceptionnellement bien développés pour leur âge!

      Delete